|With the glass so dark, they don't even know your name.|
10. Many of the lines in the film are taken word for word from the book of the same title.
9. The short opening narration is done by Martin Scorsese.
8. The actors who play the sailors are actors from John Cusack's New Crimes theater group from Chicago.
7. An extract from "The Lady Vanishes" features in the film
6. Character names "Lilly Dillon" and "Myra Langtry" allude to 1800s actress Lilly Langtry.
5. Henry Jones' final feature film appearance.
4. Lily Tomlin was considered for the role of Lilly Dillon.
3. Cher and Geena Davis both turned down the role of Lilly Dillon.
2. Melanie Griffith was considered for the role of Myra.
1. Timothy Carey was considered for a role in this movie.
EXTRASAnnette Bening's performance is directly inspired by the iconic noir actress Gloria Grahame, particularly her role in The Big Heat (1953).
The stock con Myra describes to Roy when they are in La Jolla is a variation on the "Wire" con used in The Sting (1973).
On a late 2013 interview, Anjelica Huston described this role as the most challenging one of her career.
Anjelica Huston and John Cusack accepted much less than their usual fees just to be in this movie
John Cusack was a big fan of the book and tried to option the rights when he was still in high school.
The Grifters (1990)
R | 1h 50min | Crime, Drama, Thriller | 25 January 1991 (USA)
A small-time conman has torn loyalties between his estranged mother and new girlfriend--both of whom are high-stakes grifters with their own angles to play.
Director: Stephen Frears
Writers: Jim Thompson (novel), Donald E. Westlake (screenplay)
Stars: Anjelica Huston, John Cusack, Annette Bening