The Hitman's Bodyguard (2017)
R | 1h 58min | Action, Comedy | 18 August 2017 (USA)
The world's top bodyguard gets a new client, a hit man who must testify at the International Court of Justice. They must put their differences aside and work together to make it to the trial on time.
Director: Patrick Hughes
Writer: Tom O'Connor
Stars: Ryan Reynolds, Samuel L. Jackson, Gary Oldman
10. Samuel L. Jackson spoke a hundred and twenty two expletives throughout the running time.
9. This will be the second collaboration between Samuel L. Jackson and Ryan Reynolds after Turbo (2013).
8. Ryan Reynolds uses the word "mother fucker" in the 2016 film, Deadpool.
7. The word "mother fucker" is pronounced, "shoholahi" in Farsi.
6. In Germany you would say "muterfiker", to suggest a person's close relationship with their mother.
5. The word "motherfucker" appears in George Carlin's Seven Words You Can't Say on Television. In one HBO special, he comments that at one point, someone asked him to remove it, since, as a derivative of the word "fuck", it constituted a duplication. He later added it back, claiming that the bit's rhythm does not work without it.
4. Brooke Shields once said "mother fucker" on the set of Blue Lagoon.
3. "Shit" is the most popular profanity used on Facebook.
2. Samuel L. Jackson is perhaps best known for his roles as Morpheus in The Matrix trilogy, Jason "Furious" Styles in the 1991 drama film Boyz n the Hood and Tyrone "Mr. Clean" Miller in the 1979 war film Apocalypse Now.
1. The film had to undergo some hasty re-cutting when test audiences jeered Whitney Houston's performance.
EXTRASThe movie poster showing Ryan Reynolds carrying Samuel L. Jackson is a spoof of the poster for The Bodyguard (1992) where Kevin Costner is carrying Whitney Houston. Even the tag-lines are the same (albeit with pronoun changes).
A video of its filming in Amsterdam turned up on social media networks showing a car chase. A Porsche Cayenne is shown crashing into a Smart and pushing it in the water. The video went viral and the story changed to it being a stolen car in a real chase.
Reunites Samuel L. Jackson and Gary Oldman for the third time. They previously appeared in True Romance (1993) and RoboCop (2014).
During the trailer, the song "I Will Always Love You" by Whitney Houston from the movie The Bodyguard (1992) plays in the background.
Samuel L. Jackson performed the song Nobody Gets Out Alive at the end of the film.
Ryan Reynolds, Elodie Yung, Samuel L. Jackson, Richard E. Grant and Gary Oldman have all played comic book characters. Reynolds played Hal Jordan/Green Lantern in Green Lantern (2011), and Wade Wilson/Deadpool in Deadpool (2016), Yung played Elektra Natchios in Netflix's Daredevil (2015), Jackson played Nick Fury in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, Grant played Dr. Zander Rice in Logan (2017), and Oldman played Detective (later Commissioner) James Gordon in The Dark Knight (2008) Trilogy.
Jeff Wadlow was going to direct the movie, but left to finish True Memoirs of an International Assassin (2016).
In Deadpool (2016), Wade Wilson/Deadpool (Ryan Reynolds) talks about Samuel L. Jackson and his role of Nick Fury. A little over a year later, the two actors appear in this film together.
As Darius Kincaid (Samuel L. Jackson) is escaping by boat, the "Wilhelm Scream" can be heard when Michael Bryce (Ryan Reynolds), trying to keep up on a motorcycle, pushes a man off a bicycle into the river.
The bar that Salma Hayek and Samuel L. Jackson dance in at the end is, translated into English, the cockroach, what Hayek calls Jackson affectionately throughout the film.